Recipe by chef Gianni Gallucci from the August/September 2017 issue.
- 4 whole quail, dressed
- 4 ounces white wine
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 ounces rosemary, chopped
- 2 ounces sage, chopped
- Rainbow carrots
- Heirloom potatoes
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces candied cherries
- 4 pieces of pancetta
- Place the deboned quail in a large bowl, and add the white wine, rosemary, and sage. Add salt and pepper to taste. Mix everything together, coating the quail well, then cover, and refrigerate overnight.
- Lightly peel the carrots, and place on a cooking sheet with the potatoes. Drizzle extra-virgin olive oil over the vegetables and season with salt and pepper. Place in oven at 400 degrees for approximately 30 minutes. (For a wood-burning oven: cook at 700 degrees until vegetables are tender.)
- Sear quail on each side, then remove from oven. Stuff each piece of quail with the candied cherries, then wrap each with pancetta. Place on a cooking sheet, and drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil. Cook at 350 degrees until meat is done, approximately 15 minutes.
In a large serving dish, lay out the carrots and potatoes. Place the cooked quail on top. Add some fresh sprigs of rosemary and sage for color.
You may also like
Recipe by Rachel Hogan. Featured in the Aug-Sept...
Recipe by Stacy Lyn Harris. Recipe featured in th...