Recipe by Chef Mark Schmidt, Rainbow Lodge Restaurant
Featured Chef from the August/September 18 issue.
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1½ cups warm water
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Oil, for frying
- Sugar, for dusting
- Cinnamon, for dusting
- Chocolate Mole (recipe following)
- Mix the yeast with the warm water and let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Combine the flour and salt. Add the butter and sugar to the yeast/water mixture and then slowly add this to the flour and salt.
- Knead for 2 minutes, until dough is smooth and elastic, then rise in a covered, greased bowl for 1 hour or until dough is doubled in size.
- After dough has risen, punch it down, and on a floured surface, roll it out to ¼-inch thick. Using a 2-inch round cutter, cut out the donuts, re-rolling the scraps until all the dough is used.
- Heat up 3 inches of oil in a large pot or Dutch oven to 375 degrees. Fry the dough in batches for about one minute on each side.
- Remove the donuts from the oil with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towels. Toss with cinnamon and sugar to coat.
FOR THE CHOCOLATE MOLE
- 3 dried ancho chilies
- ½ cup onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ¼ teaspoon each ground cinnamon, dried oregano, cumin seed, coriander seed, and anise seeds
- 4 whole cloves
- ½ cup unsalted, toasted almonds
- 1 tomato, charred and chopped
- ¼ cup raisins
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- 1 cup orange juice
- ½ cup water
- 6-ounce unsweetened chocolate, melted
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper
TO PREPARE CHOCOLATE MOLE:
- Remove the seeds and stems from the chilies and soak them in very hot water until soft, about 30 minutes. When softened, purée the chilies in a blender, adding enough soaking liquid to make a smooth purée. Pass the purée through a fine strainer.
- In a small skillet, sauté onion in vegetable oil until soft and translucent. Add garlic, and sauté another minute. Add spices and herbs and cook, stirring constantly, for about 30 seconds, then remove from heat.
- Combine the chili purée, almonds, cooked onion with spices, and the remaining ingredients in a blender, and purée until consistency is smooth and somewhat pourable, adding water if necessary. Store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
To Serve: Place the Sugared Donuts on top of the Chocolate Mole, and enjoy!
You may also like
Recipe by Chef Denny Corriveau. Recipe featured in...
Recipe by Chef Carl Tilley of Otter Creek Farmstea...