Chef Lenny McNab
Kessler Canyon Guest Ranch
Coffee Crusted Lamb Chop
Ingredients for the Coffee Crust 1 cup of Starbucks Verona coffee (ground fine)
1 cup of light brown sugar
1/2 cup Lawry’s seasoning (original flavor)
1 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
1 tablespoon garlic powder
Mix all ingredients together and store in an airtight container. You will only use a small portion of the mixture for this recipe.
Ingredients for the Lamb
4 double-boned lamb chops cut from a full rack, fat trimmed from the top of the bones
2 cloves of fresh garlic, minced
1 tablespoon fresh chopped thyme
2 tablespoons canola oil
1. In a small bowl mix together the garlic, thyme and oil. Apply the marinade to the lamb chops. Place the marinated chops on a baking sheet and cover with plastic wrap. Let sit at room temperature for 20 minutes.
2. Place the marinated chops directly on a hot grill. Let them sit still for a minute or so to get nice grill marks on the meat. Don’t move them around a lot early in the grilling. Let the high heat sear the lamb chops and all the juice inside.*
3. During the last 2 minutes of grilling, sprinkle some coffee crust mixture on the lamb chops, turning chops twice and coating each side of the lamb with more coffee crust.
4. A double lamb chop should take a good 12-14 minutes to cook on the grill, with the result being a nice rare to medium rare.
5. Remove chops from the grill. Loosely cover with foil and let rest for 5 minutes so the juices become stationary and don’t run when the meat is cut.
*Lamb is a very fatty meat and the grill will tend to “fire up” a lot as the fat drips onto the flames of the grill. If the flames seem to to get too close to burning your lamb, move it to a cooler place on the grill.
Truffle Mashed Potatoes
4 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup (1 stick) expensive butter
1 tablespoon white truffle oil*
1 teaspoon chopped black truffles (optional)*
Salt and pepper to taste
*White truffle oil and black truffles are available at Italian markets, specialty food stores and some supermarkets.
1. Cook potatoes in large pot of boiling, salted water for about 20 minutes, until very tender. Drain. Return potatoes to pot. Stir over medium heat until excess moisture evaporates, about 1 minute. Remove from heat.
2. Add heavy cream, butter and truffle oil. Mash until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in chopped truffles, if desired. Transfer to bowl and serve.
Serve lamb chops with a big spoonful of Truffle Mashed Potatoes, grilled asparagus and a generous drizzle of aged balsamic vinegar.
You may also like
Recipe by Stacy Lyn Harris. Recipe featured in th...