Chef Lenny McNab
Kessler Canyon Guest Ranch
Serve with Truffle Mashed Potatoes & Grilled Asparagus
Coffee Crusted Cowboy Steaks
Ingredients 2 26-ounce steaks (Chef prefers bone-in ribeye)
Garlic-herb marinade for the steaks
Coffee crust seasoning
Garlic Herb Marinade
2 tablespoons finely chopped rosemary
2 tablespoons finely chopped thyme
1 tablespoon fine chopped garlic
4 tablespoons canola oil
Coffee Crust Seasoning 1/2 cup fine ground coffee
1/2 cup Lawry’s seasoning
1/2 cup white sugar
1. Mix all ingredients for the garlic herb marinade together and rub into your steaks. Allow them to sit covered for 1-2 hours.
2. Heat your grill to high heat. Place your marinated steaks onto the grill and season nicely. Every time you turn the steaks over, sprinkle some coffee crust seasoning on them to build a nice crust. Lower heat to medium and finish your steaks to your liking.
3. Allow your steaks to rest for a few minutes before serving.
The coffee in the spice rub will add a wonderful earthy richness that brings out the natural flavor of the red meat. The Lawry’s adds a nice vegetable flavor and saltiness, and the sugar caramelizes to bring a sweet crunch to the outside.
Truffle Mashed Potatoes
4 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup (1 stick) expensive butter
1 tablespoon white truffle oil*
1 teaspoon chopped black truffles (optional)*
Salt and pepper to taste
*White truffle oil and black truffles are available at Italian markets, specialty food stores and some supermarkets.
1. Cook potatoes in large pot of boiling, salted water for about 20 minutes, until very tender. Drain. Return potatoes to pot. Stir over medium heat until excess moisture evaporates, about 1 minute. Remove from heat.
2. Add heavy cream, butter and truffle oil. Mash until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in chopped truffles, if desired. Transfer to bowl and serve.
You may also like
Recipe and commentary by Rachel Hogan...
Recipe and commentary by Joanne Linehan...